Fortnite Wins the Golden Joystick Ultimate Game of the Year
Fortnite is one of the biggest names in the gaming industry. The online multiplayer game that employs a Battle Royale style of gameplay is the receiver of the Golden Joystick Ultimate Game of the Year.
Fortnite Battle Royale is the game of the year. It’s easily the most talked about game of 2018 and has garnered an incredible community.
— Golden Joysticks (@GoldenJoysticks) November 16, 2018
According to the Fortnite Tracker website, the game has over 51 million players. Epic Games spokesperson Sung Chul Park confirmed that the “in-game cube events have led to the largest number of concurrent users in game history, exceeding the maximum number of concurrent users of 8.3 million”.
Fortnite has smashed so many gaming records in the last year that it is unsurprising that it secured the Game of the Year award. The game has gathered a community of players that goes into the millions, and attracts a broader range of players than most other titles.
Fortnite Battle Royale also secured the Golden Joystick Best Competitive Game award.
While Fortnite ultimately came out on top this year, God of War also reigned in four awards.
God of War was given the award for Best Storytelling, Best Audio, Best Visual Design and was awarded the Playstation Game of the Year.
Here are the full list of winners:
- Best Storytelling – God of War
- Best Competitive Game – Fortnite Battle Royale
- Best Cooperative Game – Monster Hunter: World
- Best Visual Design – God of War
- Best Indie Game – Dead Cells
- Best Audio – God of War
- Still Playing Award – World of Tanks
- Best Performer – Bryan Dechart (Connor – Detroit: Become Human)
- Esports Game of the Year – Overwatch
- Best VR Game – The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim VR
- Studio of the Year – Sony Santa Monica
- Best New Streamer / Broadcaster – Bryan Dechart and Amelia Rose Blaire
- Mobile Game of the Year – PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds
- PC Game of the Year – Subnautica
- PlayStation Game of the Year – God of War
- Xbox Game of the Year – Forza Horizon 4
- Nintendo Game of the Year – Octopath Traveler
- Breakthrough Award – Unknown Worlds
- Most Wanted Game – Cyberpunk 2077
- Critics Choice Award – Red Dead Redemption 2
- Lifetime Achievement – Hidetaka Miyazaki – FromSoftware
- Outstanding Contribution – Xbox Adaptive Controller
- Ultimate Game of the Year – Fortnite Battle Royale
The Golden Joystick Awards proved that Fortnite and God of War were the games to beat in 2018.
With The Game Awards 2018 coming up on December 6th, we’ll see if these titles continue to reign supreme.